Monday, February 20, 2012

Thoughts On Church

At HEART I journaled a whole lot. It seemed there was always something going on to be writing about and things to be learned. Grace strung itself through my days, always present and working. I miss HEART; the friends who were family, the ease of living, the daily encouragement, and actually feeling like I was the person I am supposed to be.

Even as I think about that place that I love, somehow I don't want to be there now. I would love to be there, but I don't feel like my place is there. My place is here, struggling to make real friends and find a job that fits me. Growing my own garden (literally and figuratively) with the soil I'm given. Getting to know my present neighbors.

Praise the LORD, O my soul;
and forget not all his benefits--
Who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you
With love and compassion,
Who satisfies your desires with good things
So that your youth is renewed like the eagles.
-ps 103:2-5

What does that have to do with church?
Well I've been thinking about church a lot ever since going to HEART. I want a church that's not just on Sundays, but people that live with me (not literally in my house) throughout the week. Maybe that's just too much to ask because everyone's so busy, but at least someone who will take me up on my offers to spend time together and return the desire.

Honestly I don't need another boring Bible study. You probably don't either. (Don't get me wrong, the words of God are life-giving water). But I need someone to live life with and have fun with and through experiencing things side by side grow in Christ. That's what HEART was and that's why it was more of a church to me than anything I've ever experienced.

The point is....be the church for someone else. And don't invite me to a bible study (unless its really good). Invite me to eat pizza with you and laugh, or go on an adventure that will be remembered for the rest of our lives so that we can look back and say "Look at how awesome God is!"

2 comments:

  1. sometimes an invitation to a Bible study is what leads to eating pizza and going on adventures. I completely relate to your desire for real friends, friends we can be ourselves with and share and grow. But I think it needs to go hand in hand with also studying the Word of God together - whether it's in a larger group setting of Bible study, or perhaps just two or three people spending time in the Word together. Just some of my thoughts. Your blogs are always thought provoking! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No arguments there! Of course you need people to study the Word of God with...but if there's no friend relationships behind that its lacking. And if true friendships don't grow out of Bible studies I think there's something wrong. Love you and your argumentatiousness!

    ReplyDelete